Monday, March 1, 2021

Promise

Monday in the Second Week of Lent

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
for I have taken refuge in you;
in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
until this time of trouble has gone by.
Psalm 57:1




I am more and more aware of days lengthening, especially in the morning. The season is changing. Snow still covers the ground in my part of the world, despite the work of rain and warmer temperatures, simply because there has been so much of it. 

As I walk through my neighborhood, I look for signs of new life, hoping for a crocus or other early bloom. But the receding snowbanks seem to reveal only mud, tired grass, and puddles. Then, as I lift my eyes to watch the geese across a field, I see it. The yellow-green of a willow tree promising spring.

In my heart, hope still seems hampered by the vestiges of this past year. I have been focused on seeking refuge and now I find myself hesitant to unfurl. Yet my life and all creation are in the hands of the One who is always faithful. Mercy has carried my thus far, and I remind myself that the promise of new life includes me.


Photo credit: Anne E. Kitch