Saturday, February 27, 2021

Escaping boundaries

Saturday in the First Week of Lent

You trace my journeys and my resting-places
and are acquainted with all my ways.
Psalm 139:2




The day spreads out ahead of me, awaiting my engagement.

For years, as a disciplined morning person, I spent my first hours in unwavering routine and ritual. How I began my day affected all that came next. It was almost as if I had to pack all my prayer, ritual, gratitude, listening to the Almighty, into the early morning hours.

So much is different now. Over the past year, I have experienced time, schedules, and rhythms as somewhat surreal. Like a frozen stream, my energy slowed and took strange turns, no longer fast paced or moving in a predictable course.

Grace, having tenderly invited me into transformation, continues to accompany me. Now, I enter my days more gently. It is as if my relationship with the holy has escaped the strict boundaries I had adhered to, seeping into my entire day of oddly kept hours. This pace is slow, but deep, deep, deep. Churning up residue in my soul that has long been settled, some of which brings sweetness to the surface, some of which needs to be examined and then released.

Is it the day that is holy, ready and waiting for me to take part in God’s Kairos time.



Image by Ruth Vivian Aschilier-Foser from Pixabay