Saturday, February 10, 2024

Preaching love for Matthew Shepherd. Again.


Last fall was a heavy lift for my family, as we marked the 25th anniversary of Matt's murder. I have needed some time and space before I could post about it here. 

25 years ago, as my spouse Jim and I were celebrating our firstborn’s first birthday, we were also carrying in our hearts Jim’s sweet cousin Matt, who lay in a hospital after being brutally beaten and left tied to a fence. When Matt died on October 12, 1998, his murder elicited an outcry from a multitude of souls. 

On October 16, 1998 I preached at Matt's funeral while protesters lobbed hateful words at us outside of St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Casper, Wyoming--Matt's home parish where he had been an acolyte. 

Now, Matt's resting place is the Washington National Cathedral where his ashes are interred in the crypt. I cannot say enough about the grace and hospitality offered by WNC. The Cathedral has taken good care of Matt, and of our family. Each year now, the cathedral staff offers a service of remembrance for Matt on his birthday, December 1. I am particularly grateful to Canon Rose Duncan, who crafted a stunning liturgy last November in A Service Honoring Matthew Shepherd and prayed me through it, to Head Verger Scott Sanders, who gracefully insured that all went well, and to Bishop Mariann Budde, whose presence warmed my heart.

I am also thankful for the kindness shown by Peter O'Dowd and Adeline Sire of NPR's Here and Now, who treated me and Matt's story with compassion when Peter interviewed me.

When it comes to walking the way of faith and love in the world, they only way we can do it is in community.

What follows is what I preached last fall. You can also  watch/listen to the service.

Remember, Reflect, Resolve

25th Anniversary of Matt’s Murder

November 30, 2023

 

 

What would it be like

to never be driven away?

 

to never have a door closed in your face

to never be told there is no room for you

            to never have someone whisper insults behind your back

                        or to you face

What would it be like

            to never have to run or hide or cower

                        for your own safety?

How would you hold yourself

            if you knew that all of who you are

would be welcomed with open arms?                         

 

Jesus says, anyone who comes to me I will never drive away

anyone who comes to me I will never drive away

can you imagine such an encounter

                                    such welcome

                                                such healing    

 

25 years ago

I carried Matt’s ashes in my lap 

as my spouse drove us to the church for the funeral

                        our one-year-old safely buckled into a car seat in the back

we turned a corner

            and suddenly encountered hate--

                        protesters shouting and wielding hateful signs

                                    Matt’s face with ugly words 

                                                some of them carried by children

I instinctively shielded the precious burden in my lap

            as I simultaneously threw a mother’s protective love

over our own child

            not wanting a wisp of that hate to touch them       

Five years ago

            at this Cathedral 

instead of hateful signs, the rainbow flag flew

our profound sorrow enfolded in profound love

 

and now, a return, a remembrance, 

a time of pilgrimage

 

I lift up my eyes to the hills,

            from where is my help to come?

 

the psalmist echoes for all time

            our yearning in a broken world

                        our searching for relief and solace

                                    and our determination to hope

this is a psalm sung by those making pilgrimage

            the physical and ritual journey to a sacred place

                        in order to encounter the divine

                                    and gain…what?

            perhaps wisdom

                        perhaps sustenance

                                    perhaps an inkling that the brokenness around and within us

                                                is not the whole story

and a pilgrimage is more than the destination

            it encompasses the landscapes traversed 

                        the steps taken

                                    the exertion and fatigue and growing strength

                                                the contemplation and wandering thoughts and emerging vision

            and the doubts


for me

            perhaps for you

                        this is a moment of pilgrimage

                                    and yes, Matt’s resting place is a sacred destination for me

and it is more

            this moment calls me to reflect on the landscapes I have traversed to arrive here

 

Before I was ordained 28 years ago

            I was already struggling with a church that did not fully accept 

the plurality of gender identity expressed in God’s creation.

            Although it took longer than I wanted

                        that has changed

                                    --thanks be to God

 

When someone on the NYC subway 26 years ago complimented my infant child saying

            “she’s going to turn boys heads someday”

                        without a beat I said “or maybe girls”

                                   -- little did I know how true that would be

Sophie, our oldest, would be a teen before they identified themselves as non-binary.

            gender fluid nonbinary lesbian, to be exact

                        we are so proud of them

and of a church that offered a session on “queering the Bible”

                        at the Episcopal Youth Event they attended

            and a congregation that supported them with Love through their teen years

                        in fact, before Sophie came out to me and Jim formally, 

they told their Sunday School class

This is the church at its best

            this is the kind of community that is possible

                        this is why I continue to practice hope

 

a pilgrim does not remain

            at the sacred site or even in the sacred encounter

                        but moves on

                                    heads toward home

                                                reengages with everyday life

and so this time here together also calls me to resolve

            to gather up all that has brought me here to this moment

                        and see what I can make of it

what can I weave from these strands--

            from each of your presences

                        from the artistry of song and poetry and prayer inspired by Matt’s story

                                    from tears and sighs and wistfulness

                                                from the admiral courage and witness of Judy and Dennis

                                                            and so many of you

 

What I knew 25 years ago

            I still know

                        we are each of us created in God’s image, the image of love

                                    we are each beloved of God

                                                Matt, you, me

                                                            God’s love for us is irrevocable

there are people and institutions in the world

            who speak and act otherwise

                        who will tell some that they are not welcome

                                    who want you to believe you are less-than, not-lovable

                                                who insist there are parts of who we are that must be hidden away

--and all of that is a shameful lie of the enemy!

 

the voice of God

is the voice of love

                        the voice of Jesus who says

                                    anyone who comes to me I will never drive away 

 

a pilgrim does not remain

            at the sacred site or in the sacred encounter

                        but moves on

                                    heads toward home

                                                reengages with everyday life

our time here together also calls each of us to resolve

            to gather up all that has brought you here to this moment

                        and see what you can make of it