Friday, February 16, 2024

Mercy ahead

Friday after Ash Wednesday

Into your hands I commend my spirit,
for you have redeemed me, O Lord, O God of truth.
Psalm 31:5


I find the solitary drive through the woods soothing even as I have to pay attention to the twists and turns. I have been craving quiet and respite from the noise, from the news, from the worry of things left undone.

I throw a prayer to God like a lifeline:  into your hands, I commend my spirit. Where else can I place my troubled spirit, my tragedy-ravaged soul, my despair at what we have made of the world?

Where will I find the courage to move ahead into the Lenten wilderness when what I want to do is hide, cower, cover my head? Yet it is along the wilderness road and every road that salvation waits. The One who has already redeemed me beckons me ahead, promising mercy.