Monday, December 6, 2021

Path of faithfulness

Monday of the Second Week of Advent
 
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness
to those who keep his covenant and testimonies.
Psalm 25:9

 


The day dawns and remains grey which seems to match my own slowness of spirit. 
 
The Advent cry of making the way straight, of filling in valleys and leveling mountains,  evokes in me a yearning for the smooth path. Of a spiritual journey that does not include the ups and downs. Of progress that continues unabated. Of a way forward that requires less effort, where despondency is not a roadblock and I do not stumble.
 
Yet, so often, the obstacles in my path do more than call me up short; they increase my understanding of God’s love, forgiveness, gentleness. According to the prophet Baruch this leveling of ground is so that we may walk safely in the glory of God. I think that safe and easy are not always the same thing.
 
I wrap my shawl more closely around me against the winter day, and I pull close to me also God’s promise of love and faithfulness.