Friday, February 19, 2021

Vortex

Friday after Ash Wednesday

Blessed be the Lord!
for he has shown me the wonders of his love in a besieged city.
Psalm 31:21


The journey has barely begun when I pause. To wonder. To wonder why. Why do I fling myself into the vortex of the wild season of Lent from which the only escape is repentance? Why intentionally engage in self-examination and amendment of life? Why  does this rhythm of living differently for forty days call to me? 

My why does not hold complaint, but deep curiosity. Especially now, as every day presents its own volatile turmoil, and every one and every place I know is besieged, I wonder what compels me and others to seek a wilderness of spiritual intensity.

I do know that this year more than ever I cannot walk this path lightly, cannot skim the surface. The past months have taught me too much about the kind of fortitude and honesty a life aiming for goodness demands. So, the vortex it is. I take a deep breath and prepare to learn more about repentance, about turning, about restoration than I ever thought I would need. 


Image by PatternPictures from Pixabay