Thursday, April 2, 2015

The step

Maundy Thursday


Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come before you;
hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Psalm 102:1



I hear the clock ticking in the early hours of the quiet house and know that I am about to inhabit a different time. I stand at the threshold, now at the point of no return. Once I set my foot on the heartlessly twisting path laid before me, I will be propelled inexorably from shared meal and tender care to garden and exhaustion and doubt and fear and betrayal.

I am driven and drawn into the sacred triduum that holds my death and my salvation. 

The sun will shine brightly today, but I will walk with deliberation through the shadow of disappointment and treachery and repudiation and on into a darkness where with others I will cry out to God.

I take the first step with a sense of relief. The hour has come. And I do it all for love.




Image Copyright: / 123RF Stock Photo