Thursday, February 26, 2015

Heartful Pondering

Thursday in the First Week of Lent


Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart 
be acceptable in your sight, 
O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

“I’ll ponder that in my heart,” my friend Laura responds to my request. “At this time of day, the heart ponders better than the brain.”

She is so right. It has been a wild day and I am pretty sure my brain stopped functioning a while ago. No task has been completed from start to finish, but rather I have jumped from computer issue to conference call to scheduling glitch to pastoral conversation to half a dozen half-finished emails and loose ends are flying.

Papers and folders and post-it notes are scattered across my desk like crumpled fall leaves and my mind jumps from one need to another like a rubber bouncy ball. Which is how I ended up on the phone with Laura having remembered a situation I had intended to lay before her a week ago or more.

Thank God for the heart. Thank God for friends like Laura who remind me of the sacred invitation to lay all things before the One who holds us all.

I take a deep breath. I offer up a prayer of gratitude. I lean into the holy, finding strength.