Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Awake with God

In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
   early in the morning I make my appeal and watch for you.  Psalm 5:3

I’m not sure when I became a morning person. Certainly it was not without protest.

As a teen I begged to sleep in on Saturday mornings, and later, as a schoolteacher, I forced myself out of bed with just enough time to get to work. When I became a parent in a busy household, I would get up early, but only as a defense mechanism; I needed to ground myself in my day before the inevitable chaos took over.

But somehow over time I have learned to relish the early morning. I yearn for the stillness. I luxuriate in prayer and quiet time and writing, grateful to watch the day dawn. It is no longer a matter of getting my prayer time in before life happens, but understanding that prayer and life go hand in hand. Early in the morning I lift my voice to God. In praise and thanksgiving. In confession and supplication. In joy and agony and wonder and desperation and contentment.

And having begun in conversation with the Holy One, I continue on my way, more apt to be attentive to the grace that encompasses each day.



Image Copyright: designpics / 123RF Stock Photo