Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Maundy Thursday

April 5, 2012

I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13:34-35


I give you a new commandment. The phrase runs through my head as a kind of mantra as I contemplate the tasks of the day ahead. New commandment. Mandatum novum. Maundy Thursday.

I give you a new commandment. I have enough trouble with the old ones, I think. Especially that one about not wanting what others have. Although I am sure my day could be well spent wrestling with any of them.

In another part of the house, I hear my daughter practicing piano. Recently her proficiency has jumped to a whole new level. Now the strains wafting through our old house are Bach and Dussek and Haydn. She is more diligent than I ever was at her age—or any age.

She starts and stops, repeating phrases, working with just on hand, then the other. Bit by bit she connects notes and adds layers of tone, tempo, and expression. Phrases become movements, which in turn are miraculously transformed into sonatinas.

I give you a new commandment. Mandatum novum. Love one another as I have loved you. This will take some practice.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012