Friday, April 6, 2012

Wilderness Yearning: Good Friday


 
April 6, 2011


Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, where are you going?’ Jesus answered, ‘Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow afterwards.’ Peter said to him, ‘Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.’ Jesus answered, ‘Will you lay down your life for me? Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times.  John 13:36-38

The morning has broken, the night is spent, the cock has crowed. Now I must live in the aftermath of my inadequacy.

Last night an older woman knelt before me and gently, reverently washed my feet. Then I, in turn, knelt before a young girl on the edge of womanhood and cradled each foot in my hands, washing off the dust of wherever her desert journey has taken her.

Last night the moon was full as we walked across the parking lot. The fullness of time.

Last night I slept soundly.

But today,
today even as the sun unwraps before me the gift of a dazzling spring morning,
today is only darkness.

How will I find my way?



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012