Thursday, December 21, 2023

Not wanting

Thursday of the Third Week of Advent
Feast of St. Thomas the Apostle

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not be in want.
Psalm 23:1


I have to consciously breathe my way through the store, focusing on my list and not allowing my senses and my soul to be captured by all that is on offer. I can get so easily overwhelmed by commercial appeals, brightly colored items arrange attractively on shelves, and aisles that lead me to more stuff. I thought this was going to be a one stop trip. I am now at my fourth store.

The enemy is always close at hand at the holy times, a friend tells me. Well of course. What better way to disrupt the peace brought by the One who embodies healing and mercy than to lead me astray on my way to the manger with anxious thoughts that I need more in order to be OK.

I escape with my final purchase into what will be the longest night. At dinner, we light three candles on the Advent wreath, doing our part to usher brightness into the world. The ritual reminds me there is more illumination to come. I am not in want.