Thursday, June 21, 2018

Sacred footfalls


The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
and will save those who spirits are crushed.
Psalm 34:18

I hear my daughter come down the stairs and pass by the room where I am engaged in my morning ritual of prayer and journaling. I am typically the first awake in my house, and for years my early mornings have been accompanied by the stirring of other family members. Part of my mind and heart listen for those movements: feet on the stairs, drawers opening in rooms above me, the bathroom door opening and closing. Ubiquitous signs that my daughters are up and about and greeting the new day.

I listen also for their well-being. After 17 years in this house, I can tell if a footfall is tired or joyous or anxious or hopeful.

The daughter I hear this morning is an adult now, home for the summer and teaching at a local children’s theatre. Other parents place the well-being of their children in her hands for a few hours each day. And still I am attentive to her spirit. My heart remains vulnerable. It is a small step for me to be seared by the pain of those who have lost their children. To illness, to suicide, to murder, to gun violence, to addiction, to terror.

Jesus gathered children. Jesus held up a child as the symbol of the Kingdom of God. Jesus brought children to life.

I wrap my own daughters in prayer this morning, and I cast my prayer as far as I can to encompass other children and other parents, knowing that this is not enough, but it is where I begin.