Saturday, April 2, 2022

Time to ponder

Saturday in the Fourth Week of Lent

Whoever is wise will ponder these things,
and consider well the mercies of the Lord.
Psalm 107:43


A waiting line begins to form in my psyche as the day’s distracted thoughts arrive ready to claim my time, attention, and spirit. It seems not only easy but right to let them all swarm in. Why not take care of them right away? Then my mind will be clear.

Except I know better. If I give way now, there will be nothing else in my day. The tasks, problems, disruptions will crowd out my desire for prayer, quiet, and time to just think.

I take a deep breath and reach for the gratitude that greeted me first thing this morning. I take hold of a tendril of contemplation and follow it as it gains strength, becoming a sure life-line tethering me to the wisdom of the Holy One.

I will take the time now to contemplate, deliberate, muse. To ponder not just the mercy, but the mercies of God.



Image by chenspec from Pixabay