Monday, December 23, 2019

Final turn

Monday of the Fourth Week of Advent

For God alone my soul in silence waits
Psalm 62:1

As I drive across the bridge, negotiating the traffic takes most of my attention and I can hardly spare a glance for the beauty of the river below.

I would like to stop midway. I would like to stop and take it all in: the flowing water, the reflected lights, the sense of the movement beneath the surface. I would like to be still for a moment and reverence the ancient water which has been since creation carving myriad pathways into the earth, shaping landscapes and civilizations.

I would like to pause in my Advent journey, take stock of where I have been, savor the travel, sense the movement deep beneath the surface of my soul. I am near the final turn, headed inevitably into the mystery drawing nigh. In the silence ahead, a gift waits for me. A gift that has always been waiting and has always been given and will always be.

I drive on into the night and make the turn for home.



Image by Pexels from Pixabay