Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Tuesday in the First Week of Lent

I will make your name to be remembered from one generation to another;
     therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.
      Psalm 45:18


It is the first time I have noticed anyone sitting there. I drive past this small memorial park often, sometimes several times a day. The simple curved wall memorializes police officers. There is only room for two park benches. Today, one of them is occupied.
The man sits quietly, slightly hunched against the cold. I catch only a glimpse as I drive past, yet his image compels my attention.

Who is he remembering, I wonder. And in his act of solitary contemplation, I am drawn to remember also. I do not know any of the names inscribed at this memorial. Yet we share a space and a story as participants in this community.

You never know who you will encounter in the wilderness. Who might feed, guide, or protect you. Who will be remembered, who will be forgotten, who will remain unknown to most.

I offer a prayer as I drive on into my day. For the man. For those he loves. For those in my community who remain unknown to me, but who are my companions in the wilderness nevertheless.



copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013