Thursday, February 21, 2013

Wilderness Yearning: Thursday in the First Week of Lent

The heavens declare the glory of God,
     and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,
     and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,
     and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,
     and their message to the ends of the world.
     Psalm 19:1-4


The bitter wind practically blows me along the walk toward the store. I take a moment to wrap my coat a bit tighter about me. I haven’t zipped it because I am just running a quick errand and I hadn’t thought the day had turned so cold.

There is something commanding about the fierceness of the wind and, as I pause for a second to take note, I become differently aware of my surroundings. Now, instead of a ubiquitous parking space and shopping center, I see the sky. Clouds scuttle along outlined in navy blue and promising that their color is just about to turn purple. Across the way, bare tree branches stretch against the skyscape dissecting the space into light and dark, rough and smooth, negative and positive.

I remember writing a poem once about the wind, when I was a young girl. I had huddled in the corner of a pasture marveling at the contrast between the bright warmth of the afternoon sun and the mighty cold of the wind that insisted on breaching every defense. I was in awe then.

I am in awe now, about a creation that can recall me to its majesty in the midst of a day, an errand, a parking lot. I am in awe of God whose handiwork continually proclaims her message of love and might and glory. Whether I am paying attention or not, the chorus of heavens and firmament continue to sing the splendor of God across the world and time.


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2013