Saturday, February 29, 2020

Order and space

Saturday after Ash Wednesday

Weeping may spend the night,
but joy comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:6

It is time. I have been avoiding my desk at home for weeks it seems, and it is piled with important and unimportant papers. It has been easy to ignore as there are other tasks I find much more interesting and satisfying. I make a cup of afternoon tea to fortify myself for entering the morass.

The papers and sticky notes are not the only things piled here. Grief has also kept me from this mess as much of what waits for my attention has to do with my father’s estate. One by one I sort through each paper, each note, creating order and clearing space. And in my heart space is also cleared and I feel a heaviness lift from my soul.

The wilderness of this season can offer wide-open spaces, room for breathing and cleansing, desert light to illumine what needs attentive care.