Thursday, December 19, 2013

Minding the Good

Thursday of the Third Week of Advent

Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving
   and make good your vows to the Most High.  Psalm 50:14


“Shoot,” I say to my daughter, “look at that traffic.” 

“Don’t worry, it’s all good,” she replies.

Strategizing over which route will move us along most efficiently, I choose one lane over another. “I chose the wrong lane,” I grumble, as the traffic next to me begins to move quickly.

“Yeah, it’ll probably add three minutes to our trip,” she observes. “More like ten,” I counter impatiently. 

“But it’s all good,” my daughter says.

We pull into the parking lot, “This is so frustrating, I thought this was going to be a quick there and back trip.” I feel flustered and annoyed.

“It’s all good, Mom.”

And finally I hear her. I have been complaining. She sees that we are getting to where we need to be, and that all is well.

In the beginning, God looked at all of creation and saw that it was good. It is all good.

Gratitude is a choice. I vow to choose again.


Copyright Anne E. Kitch 2013