Thursday, December 6, 2012

Expectant in Bethlehem: Thursday of the First Week of Advent

The Lord is gracious and full of compassion
   slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone
   and his compassion is over all his works.
   Psalm 145:8-9

I awake with a sense of pleasant anticipation. I get to practice a delight this morning--putting chocolate gold coins into my daughters’ shoes.  Today is the feast of St. Nicholas.

In earlier years, this gambit required a certain amount of stealth. Not any more. For one thing, my girls know it is me and not the 4th century Bishop of Myra who puts the chocolate in their shoes. For another, I know I won’t get caught. I can count on being awake before the teenagers.

And they are teenagers. Too old for make-believe and sandboxes and bedtime stories. But not too old for ritual. Or the small things I do to show my love.

“Thanks for the chocolate, Mom,” my youngest says as she heads out the door for school. I am not too old to soak up the small things she does to show her love. Nor for the rituals that point to the Holy One who is gracious, full of compassion, and of great kindness.



Read more about St. Nicholas


copyright © Anne E. Kitch 2012